Advanced Teacher Training
(Yoga Alliance Registry 300/500)
at Exhale in Venice, CA:
REQUIREMENTS and PREREQUISITES for the 300/500 Hour SmartFLOW:
Our Advanced Training is designed in 11 day intensives, 4-month mentorship and Weekend Modules. If you received your 200 hour Training from another school, please complete Abhyasa, part one of the 200 Hour training before the Advanced Intensive, Viveka or the Mentorship, Svadyaya. You may attend the Weekend Modules in any order at any time. Work towards your certificate as intensely or as gradually (up to 3 years) as it suits your schedule and skills.
MARCH 21-31, 2013
VIVEKA – Discernment: 10-Day Advanced Intensive (100 hours towards your 300/500)
Viveka is a beautiful Sanskrit word that literally means discrimination. It describes an ongoing practice through which we discern the un-changing essence of life as distinguished from the impermanent, phenomenal nature of things. Through our yogic practices, we begin to discern the subtle effects each of our practices bring, and over time we determine that which furthers and maintains us – and our students – on our spiritual paths.
Developing Daily Practice:
- Daily advanced asana, pranayama and meditation practice
- Taking the SmartFLOW Movement Principles deeper; exploring the edge where avoidance and denial present themselves
- Understanding the body in a 3 dimentional way so that verbal cueing and hands on adjustments are truly effective, direct and meaningful
- Evolving compassionate languaging and timing; evoking radical acceptance in the present moment
- Pranayama practices: observing how breathing patterns reveal unconscious mental patterns, and can help break them
- Developing/evolving personal rituals and themes for self practice and creative sequencing
- Integration of the 8 limbs of yoga in your teaching
- Dharana & Dhyana: paths to focus the mind (finding a meditation practice that you will stick to!)
- How to work with beginners; use modifications and build sequencing
- In depth study of the Bhagavad Gita
This 10 day intensive provides 100 hours towards Annie’s 300/500 Hour Teacher Training Certification.
May – November 2013
SADHANA: WEEKEND MODULES: Each weekend immersion provides 25 hours towards your SmartFLOW advanced (300/500) certificate.
Pre- and Post-Natal Yoga — May 9-12 (25 hours)
Pre and post-natal specialist (and Mom!), Desi Bartlett, presents modifications and adjustments for safely practicing Yoga throughout pregnancy. This will be inspiring and informative for Yoga teachers, doulas, midwives and mothers, who would like to learn how to create and sustain an empowering Yoga practice throughout all 3 trimesters, and beyond.
Introduction to Sanskrit – May 16-19 (25 hours)
With a doctorate in Asian and Comparative Philosophy, Dr. John Casey will introduce us to the 49 sounds of the Sanskrit language, its Devangari writing system, principles of pronunciation, and essential yogic terms and mantras. Dr. Casey has the amazing capacity to distill complex ideas and practices into an accessible and light-hearted presentation. Morning Asana will be taught by Annie.
Fall Inward-Immersion with Annie – Oct 17-20 (25 hours)
Join Annie on this annual weekend retreat to re-commit to your practice and remember the power that yogic practices have to truly transform you – and your students. Strong asana will be balanced with increased inner awareness via pranayama and meditation. Annie’s deep interest in Buddhist philosophy marries with Yogic technology: Nail your habits to the wall; Cultivate compassion; Wake up and live your life fully.
Yoga for Osteoporosis and Osteoarthritis – Nov 14-17 (25 hours)
Dr. Loren Fishman, MD, is a specialist in physical medicine and Rehabilitation, and teaches at Columbia Medical School in New York. He has published four books on yoga and Medicine: Cure Back Pain with Yoga, Yoga for Arthritis, Yoga for Osteoporosis and Yoga for Multiple Sclerosis. We are so excited to bring Dr. Fishman to Los Angeles and learn from this exceptional teacher on these essential topics!
MENTORSHIP: Svadyaya –Self-Study (100 hours towards your 300/500)
Svadyaya means self-study: sacred texts, self-practice and an on-going commitment to examining the habits of the mind. This is an in-residence four-month apprenticeship with Annie at Exhale. Practicing asana, pranayama and meditation, assisting in classes, designing creative sequences, and a personally evolved Seva project are the elements of this mentorship. This is a very intimate group: please apply directly to Annie.
- Intention setting practice
- Attend 2 asana classes and one pranayama class
- Assist one asana class
- Record sequences, building your library
- Begin and build home practice and practice journal
- Bi-weekly meetings with Annie: refining hands-on adjustments, reviewing philosophical concepts and practice teaching
- Choose a population with which you resonate and desire to support
- Find resources, research and literature
- Design and teach this program
ESSAYS & WRITTEN
Ongoing readings and essays on interpretations from the Upanishads and other classic texts
This mentorship provides 100 hours towards Annie’s 500 Hour Teacher Training Certification.
Annie will be taking new apprentices for her classes in the Fall 2013. This will be an essential and in-depth aspect to the 300 hour Advanced Teacher’s Training. It represents 100 hours towards your 300 hour certification. Only 10 people will be accepted in this program, if you are interested, please email Annie directly.